Residents are encouraged to bring items that hold some significant value to them, in order to develop more of a sense of “home”. All appliances, (i.e: radios, clocks, lamps, boom boxes, electric razors, etc.) must be cleared by ABODE staff for safety issues. Other items are forbidden, and will be confiscated.
PERSONAL ITEM SUGGESTIONS
In addition to the basic necessities, some of the personal items you may want to bring are:
- Towels, wash cloths
- Books, Magazines
- Radio/Alarm Clock
- Photographs of family, friends, and pets
- Markers, Drawing paper, Writing utensils
- Stationary, Envelopes, Stamps
(Please write your name on all personal items)
A. All personal belongings that residents bring into the facility will be thoroughly screened by staff to ensure that they meet the program’s “appropriateness” and “safety” standards. Items which are not in accordance with policies will not be allowed. The judgment of staff will be absolute in deciding whether an item is appropriate or not.
B. To assist in monitoring and tracking resident belongings, items will be logged on and off each resident’s Personal Inventory List as they are brought into or taken from the facility. Residents will be required to sign their inventory logs accordingly.
C. The volume of personal belongings monitored at any one time is to be kept at a reasonable limit as suggested above. Items must be able to be stored neatly in the available drawer, closet and desk space.
D. Residents are discouraged from bringing in highly expensive/valuable personal items that could be lost or stolen. We ask that they keep no more that $20.00 on their person, or in their rooms at any one time.
E. All personal belongings and/or valuables which require “special” storage will be clearly tagged and labeled by staff, or will be sent home with family.
While it is our intent to allow residents a reasonable degree of freedom and flexibility as to personal belongings they bring into the facility, it is equally important that we ensure a safe and therapeutic environment for clients, families, and staff. With this in mind, a variety of items are prohibited. Such items include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Clothing not in compliance with dress code
- Unauthorized medications of any kind
- Illicit drugs (including alcohol)
- Products with toxic substances (i.e. airplane glue, bleach, etc.)
- Glass objects, sharp metals, heavy/blunted items
- Televisions, cameras, tape recorders
- Firearms, Knives, or other potential weapons
- Literature, music, clothing, etc. which contains sexually explicit materials, or themes which promote violence, drug/alcohol use, exploitation of others, discrimination, anarchy, and /or other questionable contents.
- Observations and opinions of staff will govern in questionable situations